Four Day Filmmaking Course
This training course is now available online. Please visit our online courses page for more details.
Our Four Day Filmmaking Course takes participants through the entire digital video production and video editing process, from start to finish; that means we cover planning, filming on location, video editing using Adobe Premiere, and delivery of a final edit online and on DVD, all in just four days.
The course is unique in that it is centred around a 'real life' project. This means that we create a real world production process by collaborating with a mock client - usually a local charity or community group. This gives participants an unparalleled opportunity to gain meaningful, 'on the job' experience.
The 'real life' project also means the Four Day Filmmaking Course is extremely hands-on; practical exercises on location are complemented by 'view and critique' and editing sessions in a workshop environment.
As our most complete training programme, the Four Day Filmmaking Course is aimed at those who want to be introduced to a full set of digital media skills in a short space of time. Our aim is for participants to leave feeling confident enough in all their new skills to carry on practicing on their own, without the need for additional training.
Each participant will have the opportunity to practice all aspects of filmmaking - camera, sound, directing, interviewing, lighting etc. There will be a maximum of 3 people to each camera set up. We use HD camcorders and DSLR cameras.
The Four Day Filmmaking Course reiterates, puts into practice and develops the skills and techniques gained in our Video Production Weekend Course and can be taken either in addition to or instead of this.
Professional filmmaker and teacher Mark Saunders leads all sessions himself.
What you WILL learn on the course
- How to use the production equipment
- How to work to a brief
- How to make the most of a recce
- How to plan interviews and location shoots
- Interview techniques
- Research and research with camera
- How to conduct a recce and exploratory shoot, establishing shots
- How to view and critique shots
- How to shoot action, locations and interviews
- Uploading material to computer for editing
- How to use Final Cut Pro and Adobe Premiere, an introduction
- How to import and organise material
- How to edit
- Cutting, transitions, sequences,
- Basic colour correction
- How to add captions, titles, transitions and colour correction
- Codecs, exporting to DVD and online
The workshop will also touch on aspects of budgeting, copyright, use of archive and industry language.
The online version of this course is split into modules. Please visit Filmmaking online course for details.